Mysuru: It has become difficult for poor parents to seek seats for their
children in private institutes under RTE quota as the government is yet to
start the admission process. In the meanwhile, private schools have already
commenced the admission process.
In the previous academic year (2019-20), 17,784 RTE seats were available at schools across the state. As per the original notification, the department of public instruction (DPI) was supposed to start receiving the online application for RTE seats from March 26. But the same was postponed for an indefinite period due to lockdown.
According to the sources in the department, the government may resume the process after Lockdown 4.0 ends. “The draft list of schools having RTE seats is yet to be finalised. We can get a clear picture about the revised calendar of events of RTE admission only after the lockdown ends,” an officer from the department said, adding: “Brainstorming sessions on restarting the new academic year are on. Now, all eyes are on Lockdown 5.0 rules and the recommendation of the state health department.”
S R Umashankar, principal secretary to government (primary and secondary education), said a final decision on all kinds of admissions, including for RTE seats, will be taken only after the government grants permission.
Nagasimha G Rao, convener of RTE task force, said they are flooded with enquiries on the RTE admission process this year. “Many parents want to know when the RTE admission will start. The concern of parents is that due to the delay, their children may not get seat under RTE quota ...The DPI must clear the air,” he said.
D Shashikumar, general secretary of Associated Managements of Primary and Secondary Schools (KAMS), said the department is yet to reimburse last year’s RTE fee of students. “They are sitting on a huge amount. This delay is causing a lot of financial problems. I hope the government comes out with a concrete and reliable RTE time schedule, including reimbursement,” he added.